We were delighted to have a very special visitor back in March.
Frances Fitzgerald MEP came to visit us here at KH to chat about global issues such as the Ukraine Crisis and the life and work of an MEP
She talked about her job in the EU and provided us with some insights on important topics that affect us all.
We discussed and learned a lot!
– the work, travel, and the challenges of being a European Parliamentarian
– her role in the Ukrainian Crisis
– how the EU is connected to many global issues
She really took the time to explain her journey about becoming a member for the European Parliament for Dublin.
We also had a chance to ask her what is it like and how to be a good politician.
– What’s a politician for, who does it serve and who needs politicians?
– How do they work with the European Parliament?
– Why are they interested in the current affairs?
Frances Fitzgerald is an Irish politician who has been a Member of the European Parliament from Ireland for the Dublin constituency since July 2019.
Since 2016 she is the European Commissioner for Justice Migration and Home Affairs.
She had been the majority leader of the Social Democrats from 2002 until 2007 and was a member of Seanad Éireann from 2011 until 2016.
MEPs are directly elected representatives for the people of Europe.
It is the ultimate position of trust and power in the EU Parliament.
The Irish Government plays an important role in shaping European legislation and international relations, particularly on issues of security, defence, justice and immigration.