During the academic year, the Guidance Department organises Study Skills seminars for Forms 3 and 5 and in addition, there is a study skills module in the Form 1 induction programme.
- The Study Skills seminars are placed in the academic calendar in such a way that they will be of maximum benefit to the students in the various forms.
- The Study Skills module in the Form 1 Induction takes place as the school year is about to start and therefore assists Form 1 pupils with the transformation from primary to secondary level in terms of organising their books, homework, classwork etc.
- The Form 3 Study Skills seminar takes place in October just prior to half-term - therefore giving the students a timely reminder about revision for the Christmas and Mock Junior Certificate Examinations and aids to assist them in dealing with that task. The seminar also happens just prior to the Form 3 Partent/Teacher meeting which is also benefical.
- The Form 5 Study Skills seminar takes place in January
The Study Skills Seminar
The seminar will focus on:
- Time management
- Health and well being
- Study techniques
- Mind mapping
- Target setting
The aim is to equip students with he skills they need to help them achieve their best results in their exams. All students are to discuss the study seminar with their parents and to complete the target setting sheet together.
The Study Skills document
This includes the following headings:
- 10 Top Tips to boost your confidence
- Improve your memory
- Study timetable
- Study skills
- Exam techniques
- Using your mock exams to help you achieve your best results in June
Useful reference books
- Shortcuts to Success - Study and Exam Skills for Leaving Certificate - Irene Togher (Gill & MacMillan)